Buying gifts for a portable sawmill owner has got to be one of the easiest things in the world; at least for me. There are a lot of little things that make milling easier, more efficient or at least more comfortable. Most sawyers I know (including me) are so focused on the big things that the little ones tend to slip through the cracks.
This is, of course, assuming you do already own a portable bandsaw or you are not looking to upgrade to a new one. Because if that’s the case, then this list just became much shorter. If, on the other hand, you are already well equipped then this list can be shared with your loved ones or those most likely to be shopping for you.
Quick note — Leave the browser open to this posting after you’ve finished reading it, so others will be able to see it when they sit down to the computer. This will improve your chances of finding any one of these valued items under the tree or in your stocking. Most sawmill accessories and clothing listed here are readily available for ordering online.
Items for the sawmill and/or to make your milling life easier:
- Moisture meter
- Choker chain and probe
- Quick drain oil spout
- Cant hook
- Engine oil
- Engine maintenance package
- Drive belt
- Air filter
- Log debarker
- A Replacement Set of Bandsaw Blades
- Log Handling tools – Cant Hook, Peavey, Log Carrier or Log Lift Hook
Things for your chain saw (typically available at the dealer – make sure you know the make and model):
- Chain saw files and sharpening guide set
- Spark plugs
- Air filter
Items especially for the sawyer (that’s you):
- Logger’s helmet
- Wool socks
- Work gloves
- Safety Glasses
- Tools, because we all know you simply can never have enough tools
- An afternoon’s help clearing out slabs and shoveling sawdust
- A bottle of Advil, beverage of choice and good shoulder massage at the end of a hard day’s work!
What did I forget? Any suggestions?
Image courtesy – http://www.girlopinion.com